I still had some ingredients left so I searched for a simple cupcake recipe earlier and found this Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe. I didn’t exactly follow the list below since I didn’t have red food coloring. I’m currently in our home town so the availability of some ingredients is quite limited, and US Coupons would have been useless here.
Here’s the recipe that I used. It’s easy, simple and delicious. I only used half of this recipe and produced a dozen cupcakes.
• 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
• 2 cups sugar
• 1/2 cup baking cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 cup butter room temperature
• 5 large eggs
• 1 cup buttermilk (see note at bottom)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 teaspoon red food coloring
1. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Sift dry ingredients.
2. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, making sure to beat well after each addition.
3. Add 1/3 of dry ingredients to creamed mixture then approximately 1/3 of buttermilk alternating until mixed well. Add vanilla and food coloring.
4. Fill lined cupcake pans 1/2 full of batter. Bake in a preheated 175 degree Celsius oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool cupcakes in pans for 5 to 10 minutes then remove from pans. Frost.
NOTE: If you don't happen to have buttermilk on hand you can try this simple substitution. Place one tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar in an empty one cup measuring cup. Fill with milk to 1 cup. Let stand for 5 minutes then use in any cake recipe that calls for buttermilk.